Thursday, April 2, 2009

Well I survived food poisoning only to move on to a stomach infection several days later. This has given me time to think, draw, stress out, watch movies, write, plan and read. I'm currently reading Winter's Tale. It is impossible to describe how strange it is to read such a book, which is so completely and utterly a love affair with all that is winter, while it is 100 degrees at 11pm. Though it is already an enhanced and magical version of winter, it seems almost like the whole idea of winter is made up to me. I think this sensation is particularly strong because the last book I read was Sacred Games, a fantastic novel about crime, set in Bombay. Though both are about large amazing cities, they seem like different planets. Having this time has been a gift, though. Watching movies and reading novels, lots of them, is something that I haven't been able to do in years. These are things that graduate school has made difficult if not impossible. I am now feeling more and more prepared and excited to get into the next phase, that of writing my book. I won't pretend that my dissertation will be the kind of thing lots of people will pick up to read, but I hope it can later be turned into something that people will. Still, the process is the same. I am allowing myself to plan for it and dream about it, and yet be realistic about the pain and suffering that is sure to be a part of the process. Writing brings out my issues with confidence and it leaves me feeling like an impostor. But I have a lot to write about, and I'm excited about it, so I am hoping that that will get me through some of the hard times.

No comments: